Thursday, June 23, 2005

What I got from that CS degree

I do not think it’s that. The whole point of getting the degree is to use it, and I admire anyone who steps out into the real world to see if what they’re learning matches up with the real world. Getting some experience while still in school is one of the things I am most proud of, now that I think about it.

Maybe it’s because I know how intimadating it can be to get your first internship/training. At my first one, I soon found out that what I knew was very small compared to what I didn’t knew. I needed to set up very mundane tasks and felt disoriented about not knowing how to: set up a web server, install another OS, type up a report progress, clean/take apart computers, etc for instance. I didn’t knew the answers and I had to look for them. What I learned is that I was not going to have all the answers, but that I needed to make sure that I knew when to find them.

In hindsight, that was quite liberating.

No comments: